family nurse practitioner fnp online program

We are pleased to announce that Chamberlain College of Nursing has launched a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) specialty track!

Chamberlain’s FNP curriculum prepares nurses with the expert knowledge, complex decision-making skills and clinical competencies to fill an essential role on primary care teams. Graduates are prepared to sit for the national FNP certification exam.

FNPs treat patients across the age spectrum and in some states can be licensed to practice independently. As semi-independent care providers, FNPs are certified to diagnose and treat illness and prescribe select medications. With the nationwide shortage of primary care practitioners expected to escalate in the coming years, the work of FNPs will be essential to ensuring effective patient care.

“Family nurse practitioners will be critical in addressing the looming primary practitioner shortage,” said Dr. John Distler, dean of MSN nurse practitioner tracks at Chamberlain. “As healthcare evolves toward a community-based approach, FNPs will play a fundamental role in delivering primary care, educating patients and improving patient outcomes.”

The MSN degree program now has five specialty tracks: Executive, Educator, Family Nurse Practitioner, Informatics and Healthcare Policy. Nurses who complete the FNP track may transition into Chamberlain’s Doctor of Nursing Practice degree program, geared toward advanced practice nurses.

The FNP track is comprised of 45 credit hours (five core MSN courses, 10 FNP specific courses); five 125-hour practicum courses; and 25 lab hours. Coursework is completed online, with one onsite weekend immersion experience. Program benefits include assistance in practicum and preceptor coordination and virtual human simulation to enhance students’ diagnostic skills.

Chamberlain is now accepting applications for the fall session, which begins on Sept. 3, 2013. Learn more today!

1. I got my BSN from this school and will recommend this school to all my friends.I was going to do my FNP with them but they had not started the FNP TRACK but I am considering doing my DNP with them on said:

I love Chamberlain college of Nursing.

2. I think it’s great that this is now being offered! I received my BSN from Chamberlain and now currently in a online FNP program, I would have gladly stayed with Chamberlain had the program been offered. However, my state of residence is excluded as well as over 30 others (if I counted correctly) why is this? Are you just awaiting approval from boards of nursing or are you not pursuing a program in all states right now? I have many colleagues whom I would be happy to recommend if you offered in our state.

• Hi Russell! Glad to hear you had a good experience with Chamberlain. Regulations for post-licensure nursing programs vary state by state. Chamberlain is working to gain approval in as many states as possible and will update the website as more states approve the FNP track.

• Do you have up coming additions (state BON’s) that will be soon approving your NP program? What is the hold up for these other states not approving your NP program?

• Hi Anthony, thanks for your interest in Chamberlain! The availability of the FNP specialty track varies by state due to individual state approval qualifications. For info specific to your state, please contact an admissions advisor at (855) 294-7205 and they may be able to alert you if or when your state is approved.

• Hi Brandi! The FNP specialty track of our MSN program is available to California residents. Applicants must have a current, active unrestricted RN license from the U.S. or from a jurisdiction that is an associate member of the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).

3. I am a MSN student in the educator track, currently doing my practicum. I want to go through the FNP program. Will they offer a certificate program soon?

4. I was searching other schools. I just completed my MSN educator track. Was sad of thinking of going to another school. Searching I learned Chamberlain now offers a FNP program allows me to continue with my career. Thanks Chamberlain I’m proud to be part if this team.

5. Has the FNP track been approved in Wyoming? I am leaning toward FNP or educator.I am in the RN to BSN program at this time, with an estimated finish date December 2014.

6. I’m currently enrolled in your online rn to bsn program and love it! Do you offer this for students in Wisconsin yet?

7. Just enrolled in educator tract, but am very interested in FNP, am I able to switch now, or do I have complete a few classes first in MSN tract? Is the program available in VA?

• Hi Sharon! The FNP specialty track is available in Virginia. Call your academic advising team at 1-888-556-8226 (option 3) to discuss the possibility of switching specialty tracks. Thanks for your interest!

8. Is the FNP program available in WV or MD? Is it by state of residence or practice? I am licensed in both WV and MD, but reside in Maryland.

• Hi Kristi! Thanks for your interest. The availability of the FNP specialty track varies by state. For info specific to your state, please contact an admissions advisor at 855.294.7205.

9. Hi, I have my bachelors from Barry University. I am license originally in Florida but am in California for a travel assignment. Do you offer the FNP in the state of Florida and if not then will I be able to take the program if I choose to stay in California? Please let me know, thank you!

10. I live in southern NH literally 5 mins from the Mass border is there anyway I coulddo the FNP while I live NH but under my Mass RN Lic.Thank U

• Hi Leslie! Thanks for your interest. The availability of the FNP specialty track varies by state. For info specific to your state, please contact an admissions advisor at 855.294.7205.

• Hi Amanda! Thanks for your interest. The availability of the FNP specialty track varies by state. For info specific to your state, please contact an admissions advisor at 855.294.7205.

11. I am interested in your MSN – Educator track; I am residing in Oregon. Are you accepting students from this state?
    Thank you!

12. What are the requirements to switch from Chamberlains
    Executive track to the FNP program? I am enrolled in the
    Executive track but decided its not for me. I have been taking a break
    However would love to do the FNP program.

13. This is very intersting. I will be graduating the MSN program (education track) through Chamberlain in late October. Will this FNP track be less than that amount of time since I will already have my MSN?

14. I am interested in the FNP track, but I would like to know if I moved out of state, where could I do the on-site requirements?

• Hi Tabitha, thanks for your interest! The availability of the FNP specialty track varies by state. For info specific to your state, please contact an admissions advisor at 855.294.7205.

• Hi Amber, thanks for your interest! The availability of the FNP specialty track varies by state. For info specific to your state, please contact an admissions advisor at 855.294.7205.

15. I am interested in the FNP program being offered at Chamberlain by the way the best online nursing school. But why will I have to travel to Chicago and spend a weekend at the end of the program? The weekend just does not seem feasible.

• Hi Wendian! The weekend laboratory immersion experience provides an opportunity for students to observe, perform and be evaluated on assessment techniques related to history and physical examination prior to beginning the practicum experiences. Students will know the date and location of the lab months in advance. If you have more questions on this, please give us a call at 855.294.7205. Thank you for your interest!

• Hi Molly,
        I am a chamberlain alumni and will be starting my MSN/FNP next week with Chamberlain. I had to withdraw from another FNP program once I got the email from Chamberlain about starting the FNP program. I am super excited for this opportunity to come back to chamberlain. I had an awesome experience with my BSN (class of June 2011). I have the same concern about traveling to Chicago for assessment in March. I live in Texas and we have a Chamberlain campus here in Houston. Would it be possible to arrange the immersion Labs here in Texas? Just a thought.

• Molly, I am a Chamberlain alumni as well and I am currently enrolled in an FNP program in CA. I have applied to Chamberlain’s FNP program as well, I am just waiting for transcript review. By this time you will be completing your first year with Chamberlain, not sure how much you completed with the other school but would love to talk to you about the transfer.

Kim

16. Ky is listed as a state not approved at this time. I have friends that are starting in Sept. is this approval in the works and do u have any idea on time frame before approval?

• Hi Tammy, thanks for your interest! Chamberlain is working to gain approval in as many states as possible. If you call our admissions team at (855) 294-7205 and let them know of your interest, they can reach out to you should Chamberlain receive approvals for your state.

17. I am currently a student of Chamberlain in the MSN exective track. I am also interested in the FNP track. I understand Chamberlain to be a progressive institution. I reside in GA and it’s not currently offered in this state. There is a list on this site of which states the program is currently not offered. Is it possible to lists the states you forsee or plan to offer the program in the future?

• Hi Petra, thanks for your interest! Chamberlain is working to gain approval in as many states as possible. If you call our admissions team at (855) 294-7205 and let them know of your interest, they can reach out to you should Chamberlain receive approvals for your state.

18. Is the FNP program accredited in West Virginia? Will I be able to sit for my board certification in West Virginia once I complete the program?

19. I am so excited to begin the FNP program at Chamberlain for January 2014! I am a student in the BSN with MSN in the education track and decided to earn all three credentials here at Chamberlain! I am planning to do the DNP in near future. I have truly enjoyed my educational experience here at Chamberlain and will continue for FNP, I thought I was going to go to another school but now I do not have to go anywhere but here.

20. I have two questions :

I have a GPA of 2.8 is that acceptable for admission
    and
    I live in Ky and is license in KY and Ohio. Will I be able to complete this program?

21. Hello, I recently graduated the BSN program, and have a scheduled date for Nclex. Do I need to wait to receive my license before I can apply for the program?

22. Is the FNP program available in MA yet? I’m starting the BSN in March so I could do the FNP after. I’m now a little hesitant to start it since your not accepting MA residents for your FNP.

• Hi Molly, thanks for your interest in Chamberlain! We are always looking to expand our program offerings but every state has different regulations.

23. Hello, I am a current BSN student expecting to graduate in June 2014. I was wondering if in the FNP track in Addison, IL; I have to find my own clinicals? Or does chamberlain offer clinical placements?

• Hi Vishwa, clinical practicum courses can be completed in a weekend immersion at a Chamberlain campus. If you would like to request more information on our FNP program, please contact us at (855)294-7205. Thanks!

24. Both my wife and I are getting our BSN through chamberlain and considering the RN to FNP track but we are not sure where we can find for sure that we could take Michigan FNP boards and practice in Michigan. Will we be able to take Family nurse practitioner boards in Michigan once we have completed the FNP program at chamberlain?

• Hi Paul, yes you and your wife will be able to take the family nurse practitioner Michigan boards once you’ve completed the program. If you would like to request more information on our FNP program, please contact us at (855)294-7205. Thanks!

25. Hello, In reference to the 625 clinical hours required for the FNP program; does Chamberlain assist in finding and securing clinical sites or is it solely up to the student to secure preceptorship and clinical sites?

• Hi Aaron, thanks for your interest in Chamberlain. Clinical practicum courses can be completed in a weekend immersion at a Chamberlain campus. If you would like to request more information on our FNP program, please contact us at (855)294-7205. Thanks!

• Hi Vernica! Thanks for your interest in Chamberlain. The availability of the FNP specialty track varies by state due to individual state approval qualifications. For info specific to New York, please contact an admissions advisor at (855) 294-7205 and they may be able to alert you if or when your state is approved.